The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:35 am 






Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

  Print view

Author Message
 Offline
Knight
 
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:36 am
Posts: 25
Location: Pune, India
 Post subject: Fritz 9 - Mate Search
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:50 am 
I am unable to find the help for the Mate Search function in Fritz 9. Can anyone tell me what this function does? Let's say I have reached the end game and would like to know if I can mate in say 3 moves? Does 'Mate Search' help me out here?

_________________
Satish Talim
Chess Blog


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
User avatar  Offline
Site Admin
 
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:42 am
Posts: 1424
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands
 Post subject: Re: Fritz 9 - Mate Search
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:17 am 
smtalim wrote:
I am unable to find the help for the Mate Search function in Fritz 9. Can anyone tell me what this function does? Let's say I have reached the end game and would like to know if I can mate in say 3 moves? Does 'Mate Search' help me out here?


Mate search searches for forced mates. It's mainly used for solving "mate in x" puzzles. It has some varieties as well, like helpmates and selfmates.

From the Fritz help files:

Quote:
Chess problems, mate search


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Menu: Tools – Analysis – Mate search (or Ctlr-M)

This allows you to solve chess problems (“White to play and mate in n moves”). There is a special mate solving engine which can also handle selfmates in which White must force Black to mate him, and helpmates, in which both sides co-operate to mate Black.



In the dialog box for the mate search, select an engine (only engines which are specialised for mate searches will be displayed) and specify the kind of problem you are solving.

“Parameters” allows you to set certain options, especially for very deep mate problems which would otherwise take too long.

“Heuristic search” allows you to specify the maximum number of flight squares the black king can have.

“Threat with check” specifies how deep a mate threat should be for it to be considered.

The program not only displays the key move of the problem, but also generates a complete solution, with all alternative defences by Black. If the problem has more than one solution (i.e., it is “cooked”), then alternate solutions will be given as lines to the first move of White. “Last move” specifies whether the last move of the problem, which is usually obvious, should be included or not.

_________________
Jeroen


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
King
 
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:13 pm
Posts: 303
Location: Finland
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:40 pm 
Quote:
In the dialog box for the mate search, select an engine (only engines which are specialised for mate searches will be displayed) and specify the kind of problem you are solving.


Hello Jeroen, Steve & al,

My F9 does not have any other choice than "Mate 2.14" engine. Is there an alternative? How do you add a solving engine in the Fritz 9.
Arguably the best (commercial) solving engine is "Alybadix", but I do not know any way to use it from F9 GUI.

_________________
" There are only three types of chessplayers - those who can count and those who cannot."


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Site Admin
 
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:42 am
Posts: 1424
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:36 pm 
mrmip wrote:
Quote:
In the dialog box for the mate search, select an engine (only engines which are specialised for mate searches will be displayed) and specify the kind of problem you are solving.


Hello Jeroen, Steve & al,

My F9 does not have any other choice than "Mate 2.14" engine. Is there an alternative? How do you add a solving engine in the Fritz 9.
Arguably the best (commercial) solving engine is "Alybadix", but I do not know any way to use it from F9 GUI.


If it's not UCI compatible, you can't add it to Fritz. The only mate searcher I know which is UCI compatible, is Chest from Heiner Marxen. The port for UCI compatibility was written by Frans Huber.

http://www.uciengines.de/UCI-Engines/Chest/chest.html

_________________
Jeroen


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
King
 
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:13 pm
Posts: 303
Location: Finland
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:02 pm 
Jeroen, whom you can count on -at least once - wrote:
Quote:
The only mate searcher I know which is UCI compatible, is Chest from Heiner Marxen. The port for UCI compatibility was written by Frans Huber.
http://www.uciengines.de/UCI-Engines/Chest/chest.html


Well, I went forth and installed Chest (and Fruit 2.2.1) as new UCI engines to my F9. Everything went fine. Only the Chest do not appear as another selectable engine with Mate 2.14 on the solver selection menu.
(Both do appear on general engine menu and work from there)

So the question remains: How do you add a solver engine in the solver menu? Help file clearly indicates this should be possible.

_________________
" There are only three types of chessplayers - those who can count and those who cannot."


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Site Admin
 
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:42 am
Posts: 1424
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:45 pm 
mrmip wrote:
Jeroen, whom you can count on -at least once - wrote:
Quote:
The only mate searcher I know which is UCI compatible, is Chest from Heiner Marxen. The port for UCI compatibility was written by Frans Huber.
http://www.uciengines.de/UCI-Engines/Chest/chest.html


Well, I went forth and installed Chest (and Fruit 2.2.1) as new UCI engines to my F9. Everything went fine. Only the Chest do not appear as another selectable engine with Mate 2.14 on the solver selection menu.
(Both do appear on general engine menu and work from there)

So the question remains: How do you add a solver engine in the solver menu? Help file clearly indicates this should be possible.


Chest will _not_ turn up in the Mate Search window. It will indeed only pop up in the regular engine window. Choose Chest and open its parameters. Now you can choose various options: a lot more than Fritz's mate searcher BTW.


Image

_________________
Jeroen


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Site Admin
 
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:20 pm
Posts: 907
Location: Maryland
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:35 pm 
mrmip wrote:
So the question remains: How do you add a solver engine in the solver menu? Help file clearly indicates this should be possible.


The reason the remark is in the Help files is because there have been multiple versions of the Mate engine. The older versions are 16-bit, however, and won't show up under Windows XP (in fact, they might not even be included with Fritz9 because of this).

_________________
Steve Lopez
http://fourcolorglasses.wordpress.com/
Chess King video producer

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:

Who is online

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 193 on Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:40 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests





ChessCentral - The Leader in Cutting-Edge Chess * Buy Fritz 12 * Buy Rybka 4 * Buy Fritz Powerbook DVD


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

Style based on Andreas08 by Andreas Viklund and created by Elizabeth Shulman, Stop Animal Rights, Dog Training by corgipower